The Pediatric Surgery Department offers elective and urgent emergency surgery for babies and children from 0-18 years of age in the Haifa, Western Galilee and the northern part of Israel. The department treats a wide range of pediatric patients specializing in congenital or acquired surgical needs, benign and malignant tumors and trauma victims.
Congenital conditions include:
• Common problems such as inguinal hernia, umbilical hernia, hydrocele, undescended testis, and tumors.
• Rare congenital problems such as esophageal obstruction, intestinal and rectal obstruction, hiatal hernias and Hirschsrung disease.
• Chronic diseases and urgent conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease, gallstones, and children with severe problems such as bowel obstruction, peritonitis, inflammation of the peritoneal cavity and testicular torsion.
• Additional surgeries such as s circumcision, insertion of a Port-A-Cath, Broviac, Hickman catheter, bronchoscopies, tissue biopsies.
• Pediatric Trauma: The department focuses on all aspects of trauma care with an emphasis on head injuries. It is responsible for the treatment of infant and child trauma victims, which are the major cause of death at those ages. Treatment is coordinated with the pediatric orthopedic, plastic surgery, urology, neurosurgery and intensive care departments.
The department specializes in treatment of premature babies and babies diagnosed with congenital defects during pregnancy and offers pre-birth guidance to parents in conjunction with the hospital’s genetic institute.
The department actively participates in the evaluation and treatment of each of these babies after birth and the medical team provides the parents with complete information and guidance at both the pre and postnatal stages of treatment.